March 02, 2014

The Sunday Post - Monthly Edition (#1)

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer

It’s a chance to share news. A post to recap the past week on our blog, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. 

See rules here.

Note: I did want to participate in this meme, but since it's rare for me to post more than once a week, I opted for my own Monthly Edition. I even altered the button LOL (with Kimba's permission).


So, for my first ever (Monthly) Sunday Post, I'm going to cheat just a little ;). Because I'm including a couple of articles that date back to January 30. They mean a lot to me, and since I didn't get the chance to feature them in a previous Sunday Post, I sneaked them in here. Please bear with me :).

On the Blog


Jan. 30: A Reader's Quirks #3: You, Irresistible Afterlife Novel
Third installment in my feature. A close examination of my favourite genre, with a list of titles and a Linky for you to add your favourite Afterlife book title...or better, review!
Feb. 1: What's New: "Deadgirl" Gets a New Chance at Life + Sequel
One of my favourite YA novel had disappeared from the market after barely a year, due to its publisher shutting up shop. Now a new press has picked the book up (reissue scheduled for next fall...as in, autumn of course!), and it will also get a sequel. Don't miss it the second time around! This book deserves a lot more recognition than it got. Wanna know why? Read the above :).
Feb. 8: Rambling on a Saturday (in between Laundries)
Pretty much what the title says :).
Feb. 13: Book Review: "Lucid" by Adrienne Stoltz & Ron Bass
A 4 star book, though partly out of my comfort zone.
Feb. 18: Book Review: "Soul Beach" by Kate Harrison
*sighs* This one let me down.
Feb. 26: Book Review: "Soul Fire" by Kate Harrison
Sequel of the above. Slightly better.

Around the Web

 
Jan. 30: The Blogging Age

Summer @ Blue Sky Bookshelf wonders if teen bloggers are discriminated by some fringes of the book industry.
Feb. 19: Monologue Time: 2-in-1 Discussion (Professionalism & Commenting)
Amy @ Amy Re{a}d Bookworm (a.k.a. Spreading UK YA) discusses the use of GIFs in reviews and speculates whether they can affect reviewers' reliability.

Latest Additions to TBR List

"Blackfin Sky" by Kat Ellis (out May 14)

Just like any other morning, Skylar Rousseau is late for school, but when she is greeted by a blanket of silent stares upon entering Blackfin High, she discovers that the whole town thought she fell from the pier and drowned on her sixteenth birthday three months earlier. However, Sky remembers the last three months living her life as normal, and since she is a full living, breathing human being, she has no idea whose body is buried underneath her tombstone. Everyone seems reluctant to help except her steadfast friend and crush, Sean...and a secretive man who draws her to a mysterious circus in the woods. Sky must wade through impossibilities and lies to discover the truth about what happened to her, which proves to be a bit difficult when someone is following her every move with the intent to harm her. And Sky’s only hope of finding the answers she seeks may have already been turned to ashes.

"Nomad" by J.L. Bryan (published Jul. 2013)

They took everything: her family, her home, her childhood. 

By the age of nineteen, Raven has spent most of her life in the sprawling slums of America, fighting as a rebel against the dictatorship. When the rebellion steals an experimental time-travel device, she travels back five decades to the year 2013. Her plan: assassinate the future dictator when he is still young and vulnerable, long before he comes to power. She must move fast to reshape history, because agents from her own time are on her trail, ready to execute her on sight. 

What's Next...

Stop by Offbeat YA this month for...

Book Review: "Soul Storm" by Kate Harrison
Final installment in the Soul Beach trilogy.
Book Review: "All Our Yesterdays" by Cristin Terrill
Sometimes I go mainstream and it's worth it :).
Book Review: "Die Softly" by Christopher Pike
One of his classics from the '90s.

OK, that was it...what have you been/are you up to instead?

10 comments:

  1. I've got All Our Yesterdays on my TBR list so I'll be interested to see what you think of that one. New follower! Have a great week!

    SP
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you heaps! I liked AOY - great fan of time travel, when it's done right. Have a great week yourself!

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your books! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too...and your furry one as well, of course! ;)

      Delete
  3. All Our Yesterday is definitely worth it! I really enjoyed that one. I like the cover of Lucid. Hope you enjoy your books! Have an awesome week.

    Cyn @ Bookmunchies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually don't let cover weigh too much on my interest in a novel (a nice way to admit I'm cover-blind!), but it's a pleasure to own a book that has a clever and content-related one LOL.
      Have a great week yourself!

      Delete
  4. Nomad is in my tbr pile and I have heard it is really good. Thanks for being a part of the Sunday Post. Have an awesome month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too - and till next time, I'll make sure to visit anyway :).

      Delete
  5. Very interesting post about Teen Bloggers. Though I'm way past teenage years, unfortunately :), I do encourage my 15 yo daughter to post on my blog. We should feel happy and proud if teenagers pick up books and are passionate about it to take it further with blogging etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my teen years are long gone too LOL. But I like to read YA (well, specific genres and kinds of YA books), and on reading Summer's post I felt a little guilty, because teen bloggers seem to matter less than adult ones sometimes. When the books they blog about are geared towards them in the first place!
      It's nice that you share your passion for blogging with your daughter. I guess it makes for a great bonding as well!

      Delete

Welcome to Offbeat YA! I love hearing from you and always - I mean always - acknowledge your comments. This used to be a full democracy place, because anyone could comment, regardless of being a registered member of any community. Unfortunately, I had to turn off the Anonymous comment option, because I was getting too much spam that didn't get filtered. So, you’ll need to have a Google account (Gmail will suffice) in order to comment. Sorry about that. Anyway, jump right in! Come on, you know you want to...😉 And be sure to leave a link!
BTW...I don't care if a post is a million months old - you comment, I respond. And you make my day 😃.
Note: this is an award/tag free blog. Sorry I can't accept nominations due to lack of time.

As per the GDPR guidelines, here's the link to my Privacy Policy.