January 04, 2014

Book Blogger New Year's Challenge Day 4: The Books of 2014 You Won't Miss

Hi everyone!
I decided to start 2014 doing something completely new to me, blog-wise - that is, joining a challenge. This one is hosted by Parajunkee. And what I like about it is, it deals with blogging and bloggers, not with a mere list of books to read as fast as possible.
And here is her introduction to the challenge...

Hey everyone, it is that time of year again. The time when we get all excited for a NEW YEAR, plan our goals, set our resolutions and just straight-up get motivated. Guess what? I’m here to help you get a little more motivated about your blogging, with 14 writing posts for the New Year.

The Book Blogger New Year’s Challenge will begin on January 1st and run 14 days. It is going to be fun, it is going to be easy and hopefully it will get you motivated in 2014.  Each day I will post my own prompts and at the bottom I will add a linky so you can add your own posts. Here are the topics:


Before I reply to today's question, I want to apologize in advance for not getting involved in the next two rounds of the challenge: Worst Book of 2013 and Best Book of 2013. I'm so far behind with the books released last year (and even before), it's not even funny. (See my previous post for them). So I won't be able to pick the best or the worst of 2013. But I very much look forward to reading what the others have to say...especially about the worst [insert evil grin here].

January 4 Question: The books of 2014 you won't miss.

I'm very picky when it comes to books. Especially when having to buy them LOL. There are a few on my radar, but right now, only 8+2 are books which I'm sure of. Let me explain...
(...and BTW, there's no way I'll be able to buy all the new releases I'm listing here this year. But this is dreamland, right? or an alternate reality...).

Cover Revelead + Date Confirmed

White Space (Dark Passages #1) by Ilsa J. Bick - This Side of Salvation by Jeri Smith-Ready - While We Run (When We Wake #2) by Karen Healey - Black Knight (Witch World #2) by Christopher Pike


Bick. First installment in a duet? duology? anyway. From what people say, it's a complex book. But this never scared me. I'm such a masochist ;P.
Smith-Ready. I liked her WVMP urban fantasy series. This one is...a bunch of things, apparently. Like contemporary, supernatural and mystery rolled into one. Gimme gimme gimme...
Healey. I still have to read the first installment, but I do plan on buying the two books together because I don't want to have to wait. Also, I wasn't able to squeeze Book 1 into my latest shopping list...Anyway, the girl here was frozen and revived 100 years later, in a dystopian world. She fought before, and now she has to run. But ultimately fight again, of course.
Pike. An old friend of mine, so to speak. He introduced me to YA in my "old" age, so if you have to blame someone for being stuck with reading this blog, blame him ;P. This book is the second installment in the Witch World series, not his finest work, but still peculiar and entertaining.

***

No Cover Yet + Date TBA (Mainly)

????? (All Our Yesterdays #2) by Cristin Terrill - Unmade (Entangled #2) by Amy Rose Capetta - After You by Jessica Corra - Glory O'Brien's History of the Future by A.S. King - Boston's Quest (DiSemblance #2) by Shanae Branham


Terrill. The sequel for AOY is scheduled in August, but still untitled to date. And I've only just started on the first installment, but I'm confident I'll like it, so I'll buy the second one as well. (Though people are wondering how it will be able to work). Also, I'm going to tell you a secret...I can't stand reading a first book without continuing with the series. It's against my principles ;).
Capetta. Same here - I actually have to read (even buy) the first book, but again, I'm confident. I did like the excerpt I read. (Anyway, there can be a delay about this one, according to GR - January 2015?).
Corra. Time paradoxes and a sister to save against her will. Despite its having been on Goodreads for ages, still no release date whatsoever for this book. Also, someone on GR commented on the author's supposed bad stance, but I couldn't find any evidence of that. So??? *puzzled look on her face*
King. Mental time-travel and multiple visions? Feminism? That's interesting. It's not often that I put a book in my TR list without having read an excerpt. But I instinctively trust this one. Out in October.
Branham. Like with Capetta, I still have to read the first installment, DiSemblance. But for the third time, I'm confident...

***

Great Mysteries of the Universe

????? (Deadgirl #2) by B.C. Johnson - Death and Other Excuses by Jamie Case


[Note: the first link will redirect you to Deadgirl's page, because the sequel hasn't been announced yet].
Johnson. I've talked with him a bit on GR, after reading Deadgirl, and he sounds like a nice and fun guy. Problem is, Deadgirl's publisher shut up shop not long after the book was out, and now Johnson is trying to (re)sell both said book and its sequel to another publishing house...I hope it's soon, Bobby. You deserve it - and I want to read the second book ;).
Case. Cover and a series of supposed release dates have been around for ages on GR. Only, even this publisher seems to have vanished, and the author doesn't even have a web page or social media account. Will the book be out in 2014 - or will it ever be out?

So what about you? What are the books you can't live without in 2014? Are you going to read any of the above books?

10 comments:

  1. Nice choices, I see a couple up there that I need to read too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to compare our impressions after we both read them.

      Delete
  2. I want to read Black Knight too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obviously it goes without saying that I will read the Christopher Pike book! I really should have included it on my list, but it's going to be bought the second it comes out. I'm very interested in the new A.S. King book, although I haven't read any of her books yet (I got Ask the Passengers for Christmas) but I've heard nothing buy great things about her and she's an author that I have no doubt I'll love.

    Here's to all the awesome books we'll be devouring in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to wait till December for Pike *sighs*.

      Delete
  4. Roberta, these look like great books. All new titles for me to explore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope you'll like them...well, and I hope I'll like them too LOL.

      Delete
  5. Interesting choices. I'm going to follow your blog... it's refreshing to see a book blog devoted to reviewing and featuring books that don't get the spotlight, ever.

    http://wordsonpaperya.blogspot.com/2014/01/book-blogger-new-years-challenge-2014-4.html

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Offbeat YA! I love hearing from you and always - I mean always - acknowledge your comments. This used to be a full democracy place, because anyone could comment, regardless of being a registered member of any community. Unfortunately, I had to turn off the Anonymous comment option, because I was getting too much spam that didn't get filtered. So, you’ll need to have a Google account (Gmail will suffice) in order to comment. Sorry about that. Anyway, jump right in! Come on, you know you want to...😉 And be sure to leave a link!
BTW...I don't care if a post is a million months old - you comment, I respond. And you make my day 😃.
Note: this is an award/tag free blog. Sorry I can't accept nominations due to lack of time.

As per the GDPR guidelines, here's the link to my Privacy Policy.